Spring is at the door, and it’s time to put away the parkas and bring out the crisp Capri pants in this year’s shades. If your closet is still chock-full of last year’s less-than-refreshing, retro ’70s wear, do not panic. Head to Westminster for an update via merchants in the fashion-forward know. The latest spring looks in the season’s hottest colors, patterns and styles await you in shops like Sidetracked, Olde Liberty Shoppe and Cultivated.
Each year, the hue authority Pantone announces its color of the year, which tends to set the, well, tone for color stories in fashion. For 2016, Pantone has selected a soft blend of two colors, in deference to this year’s focus on mindfulness and calmness. “Joined together, rose quartz (pink) and serenity (blue) reflect a soothing sense of order and peace,” says the Pantone website. Sidetracked owner Patty Keener concurs that these soft colors will be prevalent in spring fashion. “We are carrying cashmere dusters and free-flowing vests in these colors and many more,” says Keener.
Floral prints are also back on trend this spring. From graphic prints on scarves to fun flowers on handbags, April showers are no match for these spring flowers.
“Floral prints are in, but more muted than in years past,” adds Keener.
Of course, coats and cover-ups are a must during this season’s unpredictability. Show your style in both sun and storm with a fun jacket or poncho, which continue to be seen on the runways.
And remember: While you’re shopping, don’t be shy about picking the brain of your attendant. The folks in Westminster know a thing or two about trends—and classic wardrobe curation.
Tips of the Trade
How can an up-and-coming fashionista create a great look this season? Follow these fun tips—oh, and drive to Westminster!
- Focus on fit and quality, rather than just a brand name. Brands are great, but a good fit is better. Invest in several well-made pieces that will have you looking sharp.
- Go vintage. Cultivated carries many timeless finds that can be paired with new items to build your own look.
- Be a visionary shopper. Look for pieces that can be combined in a variety of ways for many outfit choices.
- Build your own color story. Start with this year’s serene tones and pair them with your favorite staples to create a look that brings you fashion-forward
- Shop now for the best selection. Boutiques purposely carry only a few orders of each item. This ensures your look won’t be copied by everyone in town, but it also means the early shopper gets the lovely light sweater.
- Complete your look with an armful of bangles, the continuing cool trend in accessories. Visit The Olde Liberty Shoppe for a complete selection of Alex & Ani bracelets that are at once sentimental and fun.
You can find many of the upcoming season’s trends right in Downtown Westminster, where the boutiques have been busy meeting with designers and artists. They’re working hard to bring you the best that the season has to offer!